Sunday, January 25, 2015

Is this real life?: Media Fast Response



72 Hour Media Fast 
(January 20th-22nd, 2015)

I found the 72 Hour Media Fast to be near impossible. It was so hard to remember not to touch my phone or watch T.V. or browse around on my computer in my free time. It’s literally crazy how dependent I am on technology. Way more than I thought I was. I always knew, I was a phone addict, always on Instagram, Snapchat, or Facebook. However, I use it for so much more than just that. 

I need my phone for an alarm clock or to just simply check the time. I use it to check my work schedule, and to set up the seating chart at work. I use my GPS whenever I’m lost while driving. I use technology to order food or find a restaurant to go to. I even use my phone to figure out a tip when I go to said restaurant. I found I have to do things the “old fashion way,” such as doing math myself, or actually setting my real alarm clock. T.V. was another hard thing to avoid, since all my roommates and I do is watch movies on Netflix. One thing I couldn’t get around was I had to use my computer for homework, which honestly, I would prefer the “old fashion way” for that. I like having hard copies and learning things “hand-on.” I find I learn a lot better this way. 

However, I did find myself more bored and anxious. I use my phone specifically as a security blanket when I’m around people I don’t know or when I’m in an unfamiliar place. I also realized how much my friends are addicted to their phones and media. While I was sitting there doing nothing, all of my roommates were on their phones, not being social or entertaining at all. It’s really sad and disgusting how dependent we as a society are on media.

No comments:

Post a Comment